This Just Doesn't Make Sense!

So, on the way back from Jekyll Island on Saturday, I noticed something VERY strange about the gas prices. Gas was $3.39 a gallon for regular unleaded at the Jekyll Island exit off of I-95!!! As I drove North on I-95, I noticed that the prices went from that $3.39 to $3.69...that is until I got to Savannah and it was $3.89. One mile back, I could buy gas for almost $0.40 cents cheaper!

What happened in that mile? Why the huge difference? In my mind, if the gas companies are setting the prices and the gas stations have no control, there should not be such a dramatic change.

During this whole price hike situation, I have heard the plight of the gas station owners and I am starting to wonder.

I would love to start a conversation about this....so chime in.

2 comments:

WileyCoyote said...

I used to watch my local fella get his morning and afternoon calls to change his prices. Yes, the corporations set the prices - and watch each ther like hawks to see who is charging what and where.

On my experiences as a multistate courier and frequent traveler, I observed that, close to big cities, the gas is higher than in smaller towns, becuase that is where most tourists stop for gas, not at Mom-n-Pop stores on some misbegotten exit to a possible Hell.

Residents of large cities are captives to gas prices; they will rarely drive 20 miles to pay less for gas, so they can be charged durn near anything.

On the interstate, the gas is higher. In small towns with two or more gas stations, far off the interstate, the prices between stations are usually the same. Except... except the tiny gas stations close to depressed or poverty-stricken areas are often cheaper still.

Very often while filling my tank at what I know to be the cheapest station around, I have heard store clerks get cursed by angry folk who bought their gas five minutes before, and paid ten cents more a gallon. The clerks can only do what they are told, after all, and blaming them for the corporations' charging as high as that particular market will bear is foolish. It's all based on who is selling what and how much where.

Southern Focus Designs said...

I don't know...it just seemed really strange to me.