It is Time to Choose!

Every year for the past 10 years, I have chosen someone to make a quilt for as a gift for Christmas. I usually choose that person in the month of August. Since I started it, my family has made a really big deal over figuring out who would be the recipient. The problem is that now everyone in my immediate family has a quilt. So, this year, I will start picking from other people that I know. The only requirement to be on my list is that I have to think that you would really be appreciative of such a gift.


I have written down a list of names of people that I think might meet that requirement. Now I have to figure out the best way to actually choose the person. Do I put the name in alphabetical order and start from there? Do I just draw a name out of a hat? Do I just pick one at random? This is the part that I can't seem to figure out.

You may wonder why I put so much effort in determining who I would give a quilt too. Well, as simple as this may sound, my Great-Grandmother taught me how to quilt. Although I cheat now (in her eyes) and do my quilting on my sewing machine, I feel like giving a quilt as a gift is passing on a small part of her. In this simple way, my Great Grandmother is still here in those gifts.

In my eyes, these are pure gifts of the heart. I take great care in choosing the person that will recieve it. I make sure that the colors in the quilt reflect this person's personality and tastes. I work for months to make the quilt as I cut out and sew together each piece of the fabric puzzle. I take precious time quilting each stitch. I wrap it in a wonderful box with expensive paper and an elaborate bow. Honestly, this is the gift that I enjoy giving the most.

I will figure out who gets this gift from my heart by the end of the weekend. I will purchase the fabric and start the process next week.

P.S. It doesn't do any good to tell me how much you want one or how appreciative you will be. The people that bug me get moved further down on the list!!!! (just ask my sister!)

2 comments:

WileyCoyote said...

That's soooo nice. I used to quilt, too - had a frame in the living room! - but as time got more pressing, and my house got more crowded with kids and 'stuff' I stopped. All my friends had quilts from me, too. There are few things more satisfying to the soul than winter nights spent making a quilt...

Yo, Mike! I need some wood and some vises again!!! LOL

So, what patterns do you use? Wedding ring, Double cross, Star of Life? Grin. We shall avoid discussing the words "Crazy Quilt" - AHEM! LOL

Good luck and thanks for the reminder!!!

Southern Focus Designs said...

For times sake...I stick with a really easy nine square and I get creative with how I layout the colors in different patterns.

When I was a stay at home mom, I did the wedding ring ALOT and I love the crazy quilt.

I have to get this one done though. Kim's baby is due in January and I want to make one for the baby.