Blinding Lights

Yesterday I was having a productive day and had just sat down for lunch when it suddenly hit me. My computer screen became a wavy flash of lights and the room was filled with brilliant lights that grew in intensity. I knew it was going to be a bad one.

I have a rare form of migraine called hemiplegic migraines. I rarely have pain with my migraines...and I would take the pain anyday over what I go through.

The flashing lights are the beginning and that is followed by complete loss of vision in my right eye. Then the right side of my face droops and goes numb. My tongue and throat are numb and this numbness travels down my right side. I loose the use of my right arm and hand.

Once this starts to subside, I am exhausted and my words are slurred for a while.

It is scary because this type of migraine makes me more subseptable to having a stroke. And who would know because I already look like I have had one?

The only thing I can do is to rest and sleep it off. Yesterday, I sat at work and waited for my vision to get good enough to drive and I went home and slept for hours.

Why am I telling you this? To let you know that everyone has their "thing" that they deal with...this is mine. I am learning to cope with this and they are getting further apart than they were last summer.

0 comments: