Getting Old

So, I went to visit my family this weekend. The people that I most wanted to see were my grandparents because they are in their 80's and they have both been in and out of the hospital all year long.

Well, my grandmother is giving everyone a run for their money. She doesn't want help! She insists that my grandfather will get better and will be able to get around again. (he won't) She won't let them build a ramp so he can get out of the house, she won't let them accept the FREE help from the VA, she won't let them make repairs to the bathroom to make it compliant with their needs. It is so frustrating.

I finally had it and told her exactly what was going to happen if she didn't let them make that house safe for them. I told her that changes have to be made or she is giving them no choice but to put them in a nursing home. I was harsh but not disrespectful. But everyone there doesn't want her mad at them because it would make life a living hell. But I don't live there and I don't care.

My aunt is doing the best she can do for them because on top of having ailing parents, her husband has Parkinson's Disease. To say that she has her hands full doesn't even scratch the surface.

I understand that change is hard...but sometimes you don't really have a choice.

0 comments: